Project management tools are an often overlooked answer to effectively manage projects with minimal supervision. However, even if you are new to project management and there s plenty of project management tools available, it may be difficult to identify which is important, what s helpful, and that is not worth your time to try and get hold of. I have outlined below some of the key project management tools that are essential for a project to be successful:
* Project Management Tools – It is important for project managers to have control over various aspects of the project. Project management tools allow this to happen. It is the team that is in charge of assigning tasks and responsibilities. The tasks and / or responsibilities change as part of the project and its development. Project management tools ensure that all project teams know exactly what their needs and expectations are. This eases communication on all levels and prevents unnecessary delays that can result from unclear requirements.
* Project Management Software – Having a project management software can help project managers to organize work. Many projects include both individuals and / or teams. Project management software keeps all project information within the same place so that all team members can look at the information at once. Being able to move between multiple windows helps project managers to manage tasks more effectively, and minimizes the risk of missing deadlines. Some project management tools allow team leaders to add/edit tasks right from their email.
* Real-time Collaboration Features – A real-time collaboration feature can quickly resolve any issue or question that is faced while on a project. When working on a large project with multiple teams, it is often difficult to get everyone to agree on the same opinion or resolve any issue. Real-time collaboration features are a simple way to resolve issues in real time without requiring everyone to log into the system or e-mail each other constantly. An online project management tool that has these features will save you time, energy, and money by making decision making faster and easier.
* Kanban Style Documentation – In every project, there are new tasks and jobs that need to be worked on and those that should have been worked on previously. A project management tool that includes a hangman style tracking system makes this incredibly easy. You can use the hangman tool to mark task completion or mark tasks that have been accomplished. You can also mark issues that need attention to you such as questions that need to be answered or tasks that have been completed. Working with the hangman tool effectively requires the knowledge of how to collaborate effectively and who is to be trusted with taking care of the work. Some project management software programs have collaboration features built-in but many of them require additional steps such as using the hangman style sheets.
* Task Management Tools – The task management features found in some project tools provide a simple task management approach. These features take the form of automatic subtotal calculation or the ability to create subtotal reports. One feature that is less common is the ability to import and export task lists from Google calendar or Gmail. This task management tool is especially useful for projects that have many team members and require keeping track of project progress over time.
* To Do Lists – Most project management tools will include the ability to create to do lists for individual tasks and projects. To do lists are simply lists that project team members can work on collaboratively. While the list features in most tools may not be very advanced, they can help project teams to keep organized and reduce the amount of time spent searching for specific information. This is especially important when working on projects that have a wide variety of stakeholders. Working with to do lists also ensures that the information you are searching for is easily accessible and allows you to easily update your to do lists as necessary.
* Project Evaluation – Resource management programs are designed to help managers evaluate the current state of their business. Some of these programs have very basic features, while others include advanced features that can help managers make better decisions about where to focus their attention in order to improve the business. Some programs manage projects internally, while others outsource their work to third parties. Regardless, of which type of resource management program management tool you use, these advanced features can help you make better business decisions.